T20 World Cup 2022 Award Winners: England has crowned the champions after they defeated Pakistan by 5 wickets in the final at the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), Australia. After this England also emulated West Indies to become only the second team in the history of the competition to lift two titles in the T20 World Cup.
With this win, England is the first team to hold both the 50-over and 20-over World Cup trophies at the same time. England won the ICC World Cup 2019 at home. Let’s have a look at the ICC T20 World Cup 2022 award winners list, prize money details, and other important facts.
T20 World Cup 2022 Award Winners: Highlights
|Tournament Name||ICC T20 World Cup 2022|
|Organized By||International Cricket Council (ICC)|
|Frequency||Every two years|
|Venue||Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney|
|Total Participating Countries||16|
|ICC T20 World Cup 2022 Schedule||16 October to 13 November 2022|
|ICC T20 World Cup 2024 Venue||West Indies, US|
List of Award Winners Of ICC T20 World Cup 2022
- Champion: England
- Runner-up: Pakistan
- Player of the match: Sam Curran (England) (3/12 in 4 overs).
- Player of the tournament: Sam Curran (13 wickets).
- Most runs: Virat Kohli (India) – 296 runs in 6 matches.
- Most 50-plus scores: Virat Kohli (4 times)
- Most Centuries: Glenn Phillips, Rilee Rossouw (1)
- Most wickets: Wanindu Hasaranga (Sri Lanka) – 15 wickets in 8 matches.
- Most sixes: Sikandar Raza (Zimbabwe) – 11 sixes in 8 matches.
- Most 4s: Suryakumar Yadav (26)
- Most sixes in an innings: Rilee Rossouw (South Africa) – 8 sixes against Bangladesh in Sydney.
- Highest strike rate in an innings: Marcus Stoinis – 327.77 (59 not out off 18) against Sri Lanka in Perth.
- Best bowling in an innings: Sam Curran 5/10 in 3.4 overs against Afghanistan in Perth.
- Most Maidens: Bhuvneshwar Kumar (3)
ICC T20 World Cup 2022 Prize Money
Total purse: $5,600,000
- Winner (England): Rs 12.88 Crores ($1,600,000)
- Runner-Up (Pakistan): Rs 6.44 crores ($800,000)
- Losing semi-finalists (India and New Zealand): Rs. 3.22 crores $400,000 each (total $800,000)
The eight teams who exited the Super 12 stage received $70,000, Rs 56.35 Lakhs each. Afghanistan, Australia, Bangladesh, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Ireland, Zimbabwe, and the Netherlands are those teams.
T20 World Cup 2022 Important Facts
- Sam Curran was adjudged the man of the match for his performance where he took three wickets for just 12 runs from his four overs in the game;
- Over 80,000 people attended the finals of the T20 World Cup 2022 in Australia.
- The 2022 event in Australia included two players who had participated in all editions of the T20 World Cup since the first in 2007. They were Shakib Al Hasan (Bangladesh) and Rohit Sharma (India).
T20 World Cup 2022 Participants
- New Zealand,
- Sri Lanka (Group A winner),
- Ireland (Group B runner-up)
- South Africa,
- Zimbabwe (Group B winner),
- Netherlands (Group A runner-up)
ICC T20 World Cup 2022: Team Of The Tournament
- Alex Hales – England
- Jos Buttler – England
- Virat Kohli – India
- Suryakumar Yadav – India
- Glenn Phillips – New Zealand
- Sikandar Raza – Zimbabwe
- Shadab Khan – Pakistan
- Sam Curran – England
- Anrich Nortje – South Africa
- Mark Wood – England
- Shaheen Shah Afridi – Pakistan
- Hardik Pandya (12th Man) – India
- Also, Check – Sports and Games Current Affairs PDF
List Of T20 World Cup Champions
- 2022 – England
- 2021 – Australia
- 2016 – West Indies
- 2014 – Sri Lanka
- 2012 – West Indies
- 2010 – England
- 2009 – Pakistan
- 2007 – India
Player of the tournament in T20 World Cups
- Shahid Afridi (2007)
- Tillakaratne Dilshan (2009)
- Kevin Pietersen (2010)
- Shane Watson (2012)
- Virat Kohli (2014 & 2016)
- David Warner (2021)
- Sam Curran (2022)
Interesting Facts About T20 World Cup
- The West Indies (2012 & 2016) and England (2010 & 2022) are the only countries to have won the tournament more than once.
- No host nation has ever won the T20 World Cup.
- No defending champion has ever won the T20 World Cup.
- The first edition of the ICC World Twenty20 was in South Africa in 2007.
- The 2012 T20 World Cup was the first World Twenty20 tournament held in an Asian country. The next three would also be held in Asian countries.
- Record for most dismissals by a wicketkeeper – 32 by former India skipper MS Dhoni
- Record for most catches at T20 World Cup – South Africa’s Mr 360 AB de Villiers with 23 catches across editions
- Only one player has scored two centuries at the T20 World Cup – Chris Gayle against South Africa in 2007 and against England in 2016
- Most wickets in T20 World Cups – Bangladesh’s Shakib Al Hasan with 41 scalps
- India’s leading wicket-taker at T20 World Cups – India’s Ravichandran Ashwin with 26 wickets
- Maximum sixes in T20 World Cups – West Indies’ Chris Gayle with 63 across editions
- Maximum sixes in a T20 World Cup innings – West Indies’ Chris Gayle with 11 sixes against England in 2016
- Highest team total score in a T20 World Cup game – 260/6 by Sri Lanka against Kenya in 2007
- Highest run-getter in T20 World Cups – Sri Lanka’s Mahela Jayawardene with 1016 runs
- A first-ever hat-trick in the T20 World Cup – Australian speedster Brett Lee against Bangladesh in 2007
- Lowest total in the T20 World Cup – 39 by the Netherlands against Sri Lanka in 2014
Frequently Asked Questions
Who won the ICC T20 World Cup 2022 final?
England claimed their second Twenty20 World Cup title with a five-wicket win over Pakistan at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Who won the Man of the Series in the T20 World Cup 2022?
England’s Sam Curran was named the ICC Player of the Tournament after his superb returns throughout the ICC T20 World Cup 2022.
Which team has won the most T20 World Cups?
The West Indies (2012 & 2016) and England (2010 & 2022) are the only countries to have won the tournament more than once.
Who has won the first T20 World Cup?
India won the first T20 World Cup.