Career In Yoga Check Courses, Jobs, Benefits & Institutes: Yoga is an exercise, a discipline and a science that helps to harmonize the mind, body and spirit. Yoga is a great career choice as it is an ancient art and a natural way of remaining fit and healthy.
Once you start practicing yoga, you can take it on as a profession. It’s always very hard to break the stereotype and do something different. Places like India, Africa, European Union and Asia Pacific are expecting a boom in the industry and a huge number of Job roles. Here we will share a Complete Guide on Career In Yoga and Courses, Jobs, Benefits & Institutes related to Yoga.
Career In Yoga: Overview
|Courses Available||Certificate, Bachelor, Master & Others|
|Salary||10,000 to 25,000 per month|
|Job Type||Teaching & Instructor|
What Is Yoga?
Yoga (/ˈjoʊɡə/; Sanskrit: योग) is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India. Yoga is one of the six Āstika (orthodox) schools of Hindu philosophical traditions.
There is a broad variety of yoga schools, practices, and goals in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism. The term “Yoga” in the Western world often denotes a modern form of hatha yoga and yoga as exercise, consisting largely of postures or asanas.
Yoga is a Hindu philosophy that teaches a person to experience inner peace by controlling the mind and body.
Yoga has come into existence around 5th or 6th BCE, in ancient India’s ascetic and śramaṇa movements.
“Yoga is a very popular activity among children, athletes and seniors.”
- Also, Read – Yoga For Students To Improve Memory And Focus
Benefits Of Yoga
Here we have listed some benefits of Yoga In daily life:
- Improve respiration, energy and vitality
- Increase flexibility
- Increase muscle strength and tone
- Weight reduction
- Maintain a balanced metabolism
- Improved athletic performance
- Cardio and circulatory health
- Protection from injury
- Helps you focus
- Gives you peace of mind
Eligibility & Courses In Yoga
There are many courses available in this field by which you can make your career in this field. Some of the most sought courses and their eligibility are mentioned below:
Certificate Courses In Yoga
- Certificate Course in Yoga (CCY): It is a one and a half month course with the eligibility of HSC passed. No age limit for this course.
Graduation Courses In Yoga
- Bachelor in Arts (Yoga Philosophy): Duration of this course will be three years with the eligibility of 10+2 from any stream securing minimum 45% marks.
- UG. Diploma in Yoga Education: It is a one year duration course with six months internship with the eligibility of graduate from any stream with a certificate in Yoga.
Master Courses In Yoga
- PG. Diploma in Yoga Therapy: It is a one year duration course with the eligibility of graduation with any stream from any recognized university.
- Master of Arts in Yoga: It is a two year duration course with the eligibility of minimum graduation from any stream.
Other Courses In Yoga
- Advanced Yoga Teachers’ Training Course in Yoga (AYTTC): One month duration course with eligibility of certificate, diploma or graduation in yoga with two years teaching experience in yoga.
Skills Required For Yoga As A Career
Apart from the academic qualifications, it is also necessary that you have some of the following skills which include:
- Good Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Skills to motivate others to believe in yoga
- Strong Determination
- Have a will power to practice the most difficult “asanas” or yogic positions
Professional Yoga Courses
- Yoga exercises for physical fitness
- Yoga therapy
- Private lessons of yoga
- Corporate yoga
- Retreats or workshops
- Yoga especially designed for kids
- Yoga designed for seniors
- Yoga for the couples
- Prenatal and/or postnatal yoga
- Spiritual yoga
Career Scope In Yoga
Career opportunities in the field of Yoga is Increasing day by day in India as well as in abroad also. After completing Professional Yoga Courses or Degrees you can work at various places like Yoga Clubs & Studios, Private Gyms, Health Clubs, Schools, Colleges, Special Needs Center, and Individual Clients.
For Yoga Professionals there are various job opportunities available in both government and private sectors. You can also run your Yoga School or Studio and become self-employed as a Yoga Instructor. The government has made it compulsory to have a Yoga teacher in various schools.
Yoga professionals can make their job oriented career in the following disciplines:
- Management & Administration
- Hospital and Healthcare Administration
- Health Supervisor
- Yoga Consultation as Instructor, Expert, Specialist, etc.
Yoga Job Titles
- Yoga Instructor
- Yoga Therapist
- Yoga Teacher
- Yoga Advisor
- Yoga Specialist
- Yoga Consultant
- Yoga Practitioner
- Yoga Aerobic Instructor
- Publication Officer (Yoga)
- Yoga Manager
- Research Officer- Yoga and Naturopathy
Top Yoga Recruiters
- Private Gyms
- Government & Private Schools
- Yoga and Naturopathy colleges or institutions
- Centre Research Centers
- Hyatt Hotels Corporation
- Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy
- ESIC General Hospital Naroda Ahmedabad
Duties of a Yoga Instructor
- Design courses & lesson plans.
- Analyze the fitness level & requirements of all participants.
- Demonstrate and perform all yoga exercises to participants.
- Design safe and comprehensive yoga programs for various participants.
- Monitor participant performance and recommend different yoga exercise.
Salary of Yoga professionals varies according to their expertise, place and experience. At the initial level, the Yoga instructor may earn Rs. 15, 000 – 25, 000 on a monthly basis.
The government is also recruiting Yoga experts and specialists who are having an MA or Ph.D. degree under the pay scale of Rs. 15, 600 – 39, 100 with grade pay of Rs, 5400.
According to Indeed average salary for a Yoga Instructor is ₹ 17,316 per month in India.
For the deserving candidate, earning may be touched up to Rs. 1 lakh per month. Yoga has in-depth job potential and big earning opportunity if one starts one’s own centre or Health resorts.
List of Top Yoga Colleges & Institutions In India
- Indian Institute Of Yoga, Patna, Bihar
- Andhra University, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- Rashtriya Sanskrit Vidyapeeth, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
- Pt.Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur, Chhattisgarh
- Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga, New Delhi, Delhi
- Bhavnagar University, Bhavnagar, Gujarat
- Gujarat Vidyapith, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Lakulish Yoga University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Gujarat Ayurveda University, Jamnagar, Gujarat
- Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Hemchandracharya North Gujarat University, Patan, Gujarat
- Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra, Haryana
- Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
- Karnataka University, Dharwad, Karnataka
- Mangalore University, Mangalore, Karnataka
- SVYASA, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Bangalore University, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Manipal University, Manipal, Karnataka
- Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Dr. Harisingh Gour Vishwavidyalaya, Sagar, Madhya Pradesh
- Jiwaji University, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
- Lakshmibai National Institute of Physical Education, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
- MGC Gramodaya Viswavidyalaya, Satna, Madhya Pradesh
- Rani Durgavati Viswavidyalaya, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Vedic Viswavidyalaya, Katni, Madhya Pradesh
- Kaivalyadhama, Pune, Maharashtra
- Sant Gadge Baba Amravati University, Amravati, Maharashtra
- Indian Institute of Yogic Science & Research, Bhubneshwar, Odisha
- Utkal University, Bhubneshwar, Odisha
- Punjab University, Patiala, Punjab
- Also, Check – NHM UP Community Health Officer Online Form 2021
Books & Study Materials For Yoga
Here are some books which you can use to study yoga:
- Light on Yoga: The Bible of Modern Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar
- Yoga: The Greater Tradition by David Frawley
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
- The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker’s Guide to Extraordinary Living by Stephen Cope
- Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes by Mark Stephens
- Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff
- Yoga as Medicine by Timothy McCall
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by T.K.V. Desikachar
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Is yoga a good career?
Ans. – Yoga is a great career choice as it is an ancient art and a natural way of remaining fit and healthy.
Q. What is the eligibility for yoga teacher?
Ans. – To become a yoga teacher, a candidate must possess a fitness and health degree in Bachelors in Education (B.Ed) with specialization in Yoga course or procure a Diploma in yoga training.
Q. Which university is best for yoga?
Ans. – Indian Institute Of Yoga, Patna, Bihar is best yoga university In India.
Q. What is the average income of a yoga instructor?
Ans. – The average salary for a Yoga Instructor is ₹ 17,316 per month in India.
Conclusion: If you want to do something different from the league you can make your Career In Yoga. As of now In this digital world, you can also start an online yoga school and earn a good income by working from home. We hope that this detailed article on Yoga As A Career Option will be helpful for you. If you have any questions let us know in the comment section.